It’s game time. Whether you’re excited for the Superbowl or the Oscar’s, make these for your next party!
We were in Seattle last year in time for the big Seahawks vs. 49ers showdown. The atmosphere was tense and exciting, and it seemed like everyone in Seattle was a fan–which explains the 12th man. It was so different from the Bay Area’s reaction to football that I became a Seahawks fan in less than a week.
Now, I’m not saying I’d root for Seattle over the Pittsburgh Steelers or anything, but when it comes down to it, I’ll be tense in those final moments, hoping for that miraculous touchdown or field goal to carry the Seahawks into victory.
But mostly, I’ll be watching sappy Budweiser commercials and eating these loaded cheesy potato skins.
Crispy, buttery, cheesy, bacon-y, these pair perfectly with an ice cold beer on game day.
Even your dairy-loving friends will find these delicious! Just make sure to use a tried and trusted vegan cheese that you know performs well. I used Daiya, but I would also recommend soy cheese–it tastes the most authentic. I choose sweetened almond milk because it tastes closest to real milk, but feel free to experiment with other non-dairy milks and see what you come up with. Enjoy!
- 8 russet potatoes, scrubbed and dried
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter*
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 2 cups shredded vegan cheddar cheese**
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- fresh chives, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan mozzarella cheese**
- 1/2 cup sweetened almond milk***
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pierce each potato on each side with a fork. Place the potatoes directly on the oven rack and bake for 50 minutes, until the skins are crisp and the potatoes tender enough to cut. Transfer to a wire rack until cool enough to handle. Meanwhile make your cheese sauce and set aside.
- Set oven to broil on high.
- Slice each potato in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh, leaving about 1/4 inch intact. Brush the insides of the potatoes with melted vegan butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Flip the potatoes over, brush the skin sides with butter, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Evenly space the potato halves skin-side up on a baking sheet and broil until the skins start to crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes (keep a close watch so they don’t burn). Flip the potato halves over and broil until the top edges just start to brown, about 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Evenly fill each skin with vegan cheese and crumbled bacon. Place in the broiler and broil until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the broiler and drizzle with white cheese sauce then sprinkle with chives. Serve immediately.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring almond milk to a simmer.
- Add vegan mozzarella and whisk until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat.
- *I used Earth Balance Buttery Spread.
- **I used Daiya Cheddar Style Shreds for the filling and Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds for the cheese sauce.
- ***I used Almond Dream Original Almond Milk.