French onion dip was my favorite snack back in my dairy days. It was so creamy, delicious, and addicting with potato chips and pretzels! Nowadays, eating regular sour cream is impossible, and the Lipton Onion Soup Mix is so high in sodium it’s not appropriate for a girl in her late 20s.
Here is a French onion dip I can live with. Using a mixture of Toffuti Better Than Sour Cream and mayonnaise, I can replicate the creamy taste of the sour cream chip dip. Remember, real egg mayonnaise has no dairy in it. Eggs come from chickens, milk comes from cows. So many people forget!
My recipe uses a blend of spices and fresh caramelized onions to create a more realistic taste than the Lipton’s Onion Soup mix. The combination of olive oil and vegan butter (I used Smart Balance Light) adds a buttery flavor.
Top it with some fresh chives and you have a pretty and delectable onion chip dip that’s perfect for parties or for enjoyment at home as a late night snack.
This recipe was inspired by Elise’s Caramelized Onion Dip from Simply Recipes.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup Toffuti Better Than Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup egg mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, diced
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil, onions, vegan butter, and salt. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until onions are tender and start to become translucent.
- Add pepper, white sugar, and balsamic vinegar. Turn the heat to low and cook for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized. Turn off heat and allow to cool before adding to remaining ingredients.
- In a medium size bowl, mix Toffuti Better Than Sour Cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, and Worcestershire Sauce.
- Stir caramelized onions into sour cream and mayonnaise mixture, then chill for at least two hours. If you prefer a smoother texture, refine dip in food processor first. Chilling overnight will give the best flavor. Before serving, top with fresh chives.