Green bean casserole was always my favorite dish around the holidays. If you can’t handle condensed soup anymore, or are looking for a vegan version of this casserole, here is a great recipe using almond milk and slivered almonds. I served this for Thanksgiving and it was a big hit, although I have spruced it up since then with a few alterations.
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 tablespoons Smart Balance Light Buttery Spread
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups sweetened almond milk
1/3 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon sage
2 14oz bags frozen green beans, rinsed under water to thaw
1/3 cup slivered raw almonds
1 container french fried onions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a nonstick skillet, melt Smart Balance over medium heat. Add diced onions and sauté until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, combine vegetable broth and almond milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat but do not boil.
3. Mix the cornstarch and water together in a separate bowl. Slowly add to milk/broth mixture, stirring constantly. The mixture will begin to thicken.
4. Once thickened, add garlic powder, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper, stirring well to combine. Quickly follow by adding onions and green beans, stirring into mixture to coat evenly. Lastly, add half the container of french fried onions and slivered almonds, folding into mixture until evenly combined.
5. Transfer mixture into a square casserole dish and top with remaining french fried onions. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until onions are lightly browned.