Even busy girls like to cook something more involved now and then, which is why I am supplying the full from-scratch recipe to my mom’s unparalleled peach cobbler. Putting this recipe together is fairly simple, but you can make it much easier on yourself by using already sliced frozen or canned peaches and a premixed flour mixture such as Bisquick Light. Just add the sugar, lemon, milk, egg, and oil blend. I do recommend that you make the dough from scratch, however, because the premix version just isn’t the same.
This is not the exact recipe–I’ve altered it to fit the dairy-free lifestyle and made it healthier by eliminating butter and substituting the sugar with Splenda. One cup Splenda instead of one cup sugar = a lot fewer calories. Likewise, 4 tablespoons of a non-hydrogenated solid oil blend like Smart Balance or Earth Balance eliminates an entire cup of unhealthy fats. You can use one cup of sugar and 1 cup of shortening (which is what the original recipe calls for), but my version is amazing and much less fattening. With the suggestion of my mom, I’ve also substituted peach schnapps for almond extract. The result is divine.
3 cups sliced peaches
1 cup granulated Splenda
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (optional)
1/2 teaspoon of peach schnapps or almond extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar, divided
4 tablespoons oil blend like Smart Balance Light Buttery Spread
1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
1 beaten egg
Simple Preparation for Peaches:
- Open bag of sliced, skinned, frozen peaches. Rinse three cups worth under water to remove ice and set in bowl containing one tablespoon of lemon juice. If using fresh peaches, which is the tastier way to do it, the easiest way to skin them is by parboiling.
More Time Consuming Preparation for Peaches:
- 6 large ripe yellow peaches
- Large bowl filled with ice water
- Large pot with enough water to cover peaches
- Slotted spoon
- Cutting board
- Lemon Juice
Directions for Parboiling:
Remaining Peach Cobbler Directions:
2. To your bowl of sliced peaches and lemon juice, add Splenda, lemon zest, and peach schnapps. Stir peaches until evenly coated. Pour mixture into a 9inch square baking dish.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and place the peach mixture in the oven to warm while you mix the dough.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and one tablespoon of real sugar.
5. Melt your 4 tablespoons of oil blend such as Earth Balance in the microwave for 20 seconds.
6. Combine soymilk, oil blend, and lightly beaten egg in small bowl, then add to flour mixture and stir until smooth. The mixture should be light and fluffy.
7. Take the peaches out of the oven, and spoon the dough on top, forming as even a layer as possible. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar on top.
8. Bake for 35 minutes, or until brown. Enjoy your peach cobbler warm by itself or with dairy free vanilla ice cream! Mmm.